About the Journal
Focus and Scope
The Bulletin publishes papers about Animal and Plant Biology and Ecology, Developmental Biology, Microbiology, Mycology, Taxonomy, organisms-environment interactions, Biogeography, Environmental and Natural Resource Economics, Environmental Sustainable Management, Biodiversity Conservation, Bio-Economy, Ethnobiology, Archaeobiology, Evolutionary Biology, History and Phylosophy of Life Sciences, Geomorphology and Pedology.
In addition to original papers, the Bulletin publishes Editorial, Letters to the Editors, Commentaries, Opinion Articles, Short Notes, Reviews, Book reviews and Obituaries.
Peer Review Process
All manuscripts will be subjected to peer review before acceptance by editors.
Open Access Policy
This journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge.
The Bollettino dei Musei di Zoologia ed Anatomia Comparata della Regia Università di Genova was founded in 1892 under the Direction of Corrado Parona (Institute of Zoology) e di Giacomo Cattaneo (Institute of Compared Anatomy).
C. Parona conceived the journal as a way to exchange ideas and notes on Zoology all over the world at a minimum cost. He started, indeed, by writing and urging written contributions from whoever was interested in the topic of Zoology. These notes were published in his journal or leaned on two other local scientific magazines: The Annali del Museo Civico di Storia Naturale and the Atti della Società Ligustica di Scienze Naturali e Geografiche (just founded in Genova, 1890).
Using the old method of ligature, he put together all the information gathered and began sending the Bollettino to Universities, Laboratories, Marine Biology Centers etc. receiving, in exchange, regular updates from all fields of Biological Sciences.
The collaboration with the Compared Anatomy chair continued until 1905: 132 works were published in 5 volumes. From 1906 to 1916 the Bollettino was directed only under the responsibility of the Institute of Zoology and another 48 works came out in two volumes entitled Bollettino del Museo Zoologico della R.U. di Genova (consecutively numbered regardless of the first series).
These works were also published in other journals, mainly in Atti della Società Ligustica di Scienze Naturali e Geografiche and in Annali del Museo Civico di Storia Naturale di Genova.
During the First World War the publication of the Bollettino was stopped and only began again in 1926 when, under the direction of Raffaele Issel (Institute of Zoology), and Luigi Cognetti de Martiis (Institute of Compared Anatomy) was kept the original name of the bulletin continuing the numbering of volumes from 1926 to 1930.
During the years 1932-1938 the title of the bulletin changed and became Bollettino dei Musei e Laboratori di Zoologia e Anatomia Comparata della R. Università di Genova. Raffaele Issel, from 1932 to 1936, was flanked in the direction by Ettore Remotti (Institute of Compared Anatomy); in 1937 Renato Santucci (Institute of Zoology), replaced Raffaele Issel (died in October 7, 1936). The following year he was replaced by Bruno Monterosso.
During biennium 1939-1940 the journal took the title Bollettino degli Istituti di Zoologia e Anatomia Comparata della R. Università di Genova, directed by Remotti and Mario Salfi; in 1941-1942 the title changed again in Bollettino dei Musei e degli Istituti Biologici della R. Università di Genova and the direction was taken by: Giuseppina Zanoni (Institute of Botany), Oscar De Beaux (Institute of Zoology), Alessandro Brian (Marine Biology Laboratory), Giuseppe Vidoni (Races Biology Laboratory).
From 1943 to 1968 the title of the journal changed to Bollettino dei Musei e degli Istituti biologici dell'Università di Genova - Sezione Biologia Animale, under the direction of the already mentioned Zanoni, Remotti e Brian (the Executive Director), as well as of Giuseppe Scortecci (Institute of Zoology).
In 1969 the journal took the title Bollettino dei Musei e degli Istituti Biologici dell'Università di Genova and continued its annual activity switching to electronic on-line publishing from 2009. In 2018 the title changed finally becoming the current Bulletin of Environmental and Life Sciences.